Wednesday 8 August 2012

PowerPointlessness




I thought that this article made a good point about some PowerPoint being badly constructed which results in their general pointlessness. During my practicum I noticed that whenever my SA used a PowerPoint all of the students started behaving better. They were quiet., looking at the screen and seemed completely comatose. I tried to find ways to use PowerPoints in a way that kept them awake and actively learning but found it difficult because of the necessity of turning off the lights. It seemed to encourage napping more than anything. I started making them more interactive (guessing vocab games, fill in the blanks etc…), which seemed to help.

I would like to see some more research on whether students actually absorb then information better through PowerPoint or whether it is just a pretty picture in the background.

No comments:

Post a Comment